Monday, September 16, 2013

Cold Days: Comprehensive Review



Finally finished up Cold Days. And I loved it. This most recent addition to the series was definitely a little different. It seems like the scope of the conflict is always escalating to the point where I wonder how Butcher is going to step it up a notch. Turns out he seems to always manage it. Of course, I seriously doubt the scale of the conflict will manage to be grander in the next book. Kind of harder to get biggere than the stake of the universe. It might be a nice pace to have things ramped down to a more personal level in the next installation.

So my specific yet general impressions of the book...

First off, the writing style maintained that fresh Butcher inner monologue that I'm always looking forward to when I crack open one of these books. I kept laughing out loud at the references the characters would make. Which was a nice contrast to the gravity of the situations the characters were in. The other freshness came from the introduction of new villains and a completely new perspective on some classic "villains".

I didn't particularly care for the ramped up sexual components of the book although I understood the use and context. It's actually kind of nice to have a character that recognizes the strength of sexual... temptations, for lack of a better word, and the power that can come from standing strong and maintaining focus and dedication.

Spoilers ahead!!!!!

The most heart wrenching moment of the entire series was at the conclusion of this book. It was hard enough when Dresden had to kill the mother of his daughter in the heat of the moment. It was so much harder when he had to watch the life and even existence of his apprentice and daughter of one of his best friends ripped away. I actually cried. And for the first time, I'm a little apprehensive about how this new development is going to affect his interpersonal relationships in the upcoming Skin Game.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and am both excited and nervous to continue reading the Dresden Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment