Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Amulet Graphic Novels


I was listening to a Talking Comics podcast the other day and heard them recommend the Amulet graphic novel series.  I figured I had nothing to lose by seeing if my local library carried a copy.  Surprising, they carry a lot of graphic novels including the Amulet series.  I went ahead and checked out the first two volumes (the others are currently on hold) and read them both in about 1 1/2 hrs.  Loved them!  The artwork is a nice break from the typical DC and Marvel superhero styles, which is most of what I read.  It definitely gears itself towards a younger audience but without sacrificing quality.  The artwork was in fact engaging enough that I had an inner soundtrack going for all of the  implied sound effects without really even trying.  I also thought the story was well put together.  While it clearly has the Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings vibe going for it, no story is really original anyway.  If it comes across as enjoyable without being super predictable, I can give it a thumbs up.  I of course plan on giving a more detailed  reaction/review later but for now I will wait for the other volumes before going further.

No comments:

Post a Comment